Skip to main content

PRODUCT REVIEW: Besame Cosmetics (An Introduction to Vintage Cosmetics)

Hey hey!

Most who follow my blog and social media and maybe even have been to my website probably have an idea that one of my greatest inspirations is history and much of the vintage style, along with home decor, comes with it. A few years ago, I had a strong desire to seek out makeup that was inspired by the days of old. I don't recall what exactly I typed into the search engine (probably "vintage makeup" is a safe guess, though), Besame Cosmetics was the first to pop up. Upon clicking on the website, I was hooked.

Besame is the brain child of artist, cosmetic historian and designer Gabriela Hernandez. She founded the business in 2004 with the intent of creating a line of cosmetics to bring back a fun, luxurious, and elegant experience in applying makeup. Which is something I'm all for. Besame translates from Spanish to English as kiss me , which is befitting because the line started out with their historically inspired lipsticks before growing from there.
To my delight, they added a 1937 Snow White line (inspired by research done on the color palette used in the 1937 Disney film) and an Agent Carter line! I say yaaasss to both because Snow White and Agent Peggy Carter are awesome. :)  My original plan was to review the products I purchased from both lines, but I have since purchased more and would like to do an entire look with my purchases from the Snow White and Agent Carter lines, which I will do once the order comes in. For this week, I am writing about the very first Besame products I purchased when I came across them a few years back.

And now on to that.

So the first products I ever ordered from Besame a few years ago were their Brightening Violet Powder and 1930 Noir Red Lipstick.



One of the many things I love about Besame products is the amount of historical research that goes into the color palettes and how the colors and formulas are all inspired by the colors and styles popular in those bygone decades, spanning from the 1910s to the 1970s. I love the meticulous care they put into their products, from the color palettes to the formulas to the packaging. AND they are vegan, cruelty free, and made with safe ingredients (ingredients like squalane, vitamin C, and aloe).

From their website:

All our lipsticks are true replicas of lipstick shades from the past. Gabriela searches through actual vintage makeup to pick out particular colors that speak to her and truly represent the years they were produced. Using only the safest and best ingredients we make long lasting lipsticks to give you classic glamour at any era. Encased in a red and gold lipstick bullet inspired by the tubes of the 1940s, these treasures will look lovely when applied, having everyone turn heads. With our classic lipstick shape designed for form and function, used for many lipsticks in the 1930s and 1940s, you can apply with ease. Use the sharp tips to line lips and the blunt side to fill in color. Blot once or twice with tissue for long-lasting wear. Get ready to be admired…...

So onto the 1930 Noir Red Lipstick.
The 1930 Noir Red Lipstick is a deep plum, boysenberry red. It is a very dark and dramatic pigment and a semi-matte finish. The Noir Red is a replica of a color popular in 1930 and was originally created for Besame's Gatsby collection. According to the website, the color was inspired by the parties and intrigue of the 1930s and a way to describe the darker, dramatic colors of that decade. The first time I tried the lipstick I loved the texture. It glided on was not even the least bit chalky or sticky, which some lipsticks are. This is usually why I typically would stick to lip pencil and colored gloss. But Besame got me to loving lipstick again, not only with the texture of their lip colors, but also the staying power. Seriously, I barely ever have to reapply because the color hardly fades!

 1930 Noir Red lipstick displayed with my grandmother's compact :)

After I totally fell in love with the lipstick, it was on to the Brightening Violet Powder. It is described as a translucent violet powder that color-corrects yellow and red tones and brightens any skin tone.  

The finely milled formula sets makeup beautifully, leaving a soft, matte finish and a subtle violet fragrance. Wear it alone, over foundation, or around eyes to instantly lighten dark circles.- Besame website

Violet Brightening powder also displayed with my grandmother's compact :)


I love this powder. It comes in a loose powder form and has a slight violet scent. The texture is lovely, very soft going on and is great for setting makeup.


me wearing the 1930 Noir Red lipstick and Brightening Violet powder

Well, that was my first experience with Besame Cosmetics before I became a devoted user. I look forward to bringing you the 1937 Snow White and Agent Carter lines. But first, I will be bringing you more from Eddie Funkhouser. In the next blogpost, I will be reviewing more from Eddie's Luxlight products. The Luxlight Glow Drops and Revitalizing Foundation.

Til then, have a great week!
xo

Check out Besame's website:
http://besamecosmetics.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRODUCT REVIEW: The Lovely Rose Apothecary (Vintage Skin Care!)

Well hello! I am really excited to bring you this product review. Months back, I came across a cool company on Instagram, one that immediately piqued my interest. Their objective is to make vintage inspired skincare, and all of their products are inspired by those used and manufactured during the 1910s through the 1940s. Most that follow my work definitely know of not only my love of history and the influence that it has on my music and writing, but also the vintage world and lifestyle. Now I'm not one who dresses in a vintage style 24/7 (though I very much enjoy those that do!). Sometimes I will, but honestly whether I do or not depends on my mood, what's happening currently in my life, etc. Sometimes I just like wearing modern clothes while other days I might be feeling the 1940s or 1920s more and I'll gear my style more toward that particular era. However, even if I don't necessarily don the attire all the time, I do incorporate it into many other aspects of

PRODUCT REVIEW: Eddie Funkhouser's LuxLight Glow Drops and Revitalizing Foundation

Hey there! Time for another makeup product review! I am returning with two more Eddie Funkhouser products. This time it's the LuxLight Glow Drops (which I was SO excited about trying) and the Revitalizing Foundation. First I will start with the Glow Drops. When packaged, the Luxlight Glow Drops come in liquid form in a tube and the product is meant to give the user (according to the website) a lit-from within glow, illuminate facial features, and act as a diffuser and create a brighter and more even skin tone. There are many ways it can be used, including using alone, or mixing into a moisturizer, liquid foundation or body lotion. Basically, it's supposed to help you achieve that "JLo Glow". One nice thing about Eddie's website is that tutorials on how to use the makeup is included. Here is one on different ways of using the Glow Drops. This is a great video where Eddie demonstrates and explains the product. :) I LOVE this product. I was e

QUICK MERCH HAUL: Saging Space, Claire's, Dollar Tree