Skip to main content

PRODUCT REVIEW: The Lovely Rose Apothecary (Vintage Skin Care!)

Well hello!

I am really excited to bring you this product review.

Months back, I came across a cool company on Instagram, one that immediately piqued my interest. Their objective is to make vintage inspired skincare, and all of their products are inspired by those used and manufactured during the 1910s through the 1940s.
Most that follow my work definitely know of not only my love of history and the influence that it has on my music and writing, but also the vintage world and lifestyle.

Now I'm not one who dresses in a vintage style 24/7 (though I very much enjoy those that do!). Sometimes I will, but honestly whether I do or not depends on my mood, what's happening currently in my life, etc. Sometimes I just like wearing modern clothes while other days I might be feeling the 1940s or 1920s more and I'll gear my style more toward that particular era. However, even if I don't necessarily don the attire all the time, I do incorporate it into many other aspects of my life. My home decor being one of them and another is my cosmetics. Many that read this part of my blog know by now of my devotion to the brand Besame, a cosmetic line that seeks to replicate makeup, color palettes, and beautiful packaging ranging from eras ranging from the 1910s through 1970. The only thing I really regretted about Besame is that they did not have a skincare line. While I do make a lot of my own skincare products, sometimes it is just nice to buy something for yourself. So when I discovered The Lovely Rose Apothecary by chance on an Instagram ad, I was instantly intrigued and wanted to give them a try.
When I went to their website, I was absolutely delighted by what I saw. A skincare line that not only is modeled after formulas from decades past but is also all natural and non-toxic. So I ended up with a bunch of samples from a variety of their products

 
the package that made my day when it arrived

I ended up trying several products in order to of course see which ones would work for me!  I tried the following:
- Rose Cold Cream
- Rose Skin Tonic
- Rose Vanishing Cream
- Lavender Cold Cream
- Lavender Skin Tonic
- Lavender Vanishing Cream
- Geranium Cold Cream
- Geranium Skin Tonic
- Geranium Vanishing Cream
- Tissue Cream
- Overnight Cream
- Dead Sea Salt Mask
- Conditioning Hot Oil Treatment (for the hair)

The website does a beautiful job with describing not only the products, but also the era of inspiration behind these products. While all the products had things about them that I really enjoyed, my favorites ended up being the Lavender Cold Cream, Rose Vanishing Cream, Rose Skin Tonic, Tissue Cream, and Conditioning Hot Oil Treatment. 
The Cold Creams and Vanishing Creams really do have the luxurious texture that is advertised and described and they do surpass several larger name brands that I have tried. The tonics work well with getting out any extra dirt or makeup from within your pores without drying the skin out.There is also a very lovely hint of the lavender and rose within the formula of the products (as someone studying to be a holistic aromatherapist, I will say that the aromatic blending within the product formulas is perfect and just the right amount without being overpowering).

As for the Tissue Cream, the website describes it as follows:

Based on a recipe from 1901 and used heavily in the 1930s, Tissue Cream is a must for your skincare routine! Tissue Cream is a deep moisture treat for your skin that can be used weekly, twice weekly or daily depending on your skin's needs. Our Tissue Cream is to be used in the evenings after cleansing with cold cream.

I did like using it as facial mask, particularly in the colder months and I loved the end result that it would leave me with.

The Conditioning Hot Oil Treatment also ended up being a wonderful addition to my vintage hair care routine. In my Cosmetics Through the Ages lecture (along with blogposts and podcast episodes on the subject), I have shared that I have not used shampoo or modern hair care in several years. In fact, I haven't "washed my hair" in the modern sense in I don't know how long.
I tend to mix 18th century and 1920s methods (I will likely do an entire blog post on my hair care routine here).

The Lovely Rose describes the Conditioning Hot Oil Treatment as follows:

One thing that was popular in the 1920's was treating your hair and scalp with oil. It would break up the dirt, oil and flakes of skin clinging to the scalp. Then when you would wash, the shampoo bar (liquid shampoo didn't come out until the 1930's) would cleanse away the dirt and debris. When you brush your hair the sebum your scalp produces is distributed down the hair shaft creating shine. 
Our Conditioning Hot Oil Treatment is inspired by these oil treatments from the 1920's. Ours consists of 9 scalp nourishing, hair softening oils and 11 different essential oils to treat, condition and add shine to your hair. 

More information on these great products are below at the following links on The Lovely Rose website:

Lavender Cold Cream

Rose Cold Cream
Rose Tonic
Rose Vanishing Cream

Tissue Cream

Conditioning Hot Oil Treatment

So after I was hooked, I decided to place my first real order of the Rose Vanishing Cream. And as you can see below, the packaging is absolutely gorgeous (almost as gorgeous as the product itself!).

My first real order of Rose Vanishing Cream!
 
instructional card that each product comes with and a description of how your ordered product would have been used in the era of its time

Another nice service that The Lovely Rose Apothecary offers is a subscription service. And it's nice because they allow you to choose how often you receive your new supply and you get a 10% discount on all the products! :)

The Lovely Rose Apothecary is definitely one of those hidden gems, especially for those looking to add a little vintage fun and luxury (at a reasonable price!) to your morning and evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QUICK MERCH HAUL: Saging Space, Claire's, Dollar Tree

PRODUCT REVIEW: Eddie Funkhouser's LuxLight Glow Drops and Revitalizing Foundation

Hey there! Time for another makeup product review! I am returning with two more Eddie Funkhouser products. This time it's the LuxLight Glow Drops (which I was SO excited about trying) and the Revitalizing Foundation. First I will start with the Glow Drops. When packaged, the Luxlight Glow Drops come in liquid form in a tube and the product is meant to give the user (according to the website) a lit-from within glow, illuminate facial features, and act as a diffuser and create a brighter and more even skin tone. There are many ways it can be used, including using alone, or mixing into a moisturizer, liquid foundation or body lotion. Basically, it's supposed to help you achieve that "JLo Glow". One nice thing about Eddie's website is that tutorials on how to use the makeup is included. Here is one on different ways of using the Glow Drops. This is a great video where Eddie demonstrates and explains the product. :) I LOVE this product. I was e